9 Easy Ways to Make Your Current Diet More Nutritious
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be a chore.
So, we are here to share 10 super simple hacks that will boost your nutritional intake in a flash!
- Add chia seeds to smoothies to help increase fibre intake, fibre is necessary for a healthy digestive system.
- Boost antioxidant intake by adding a handful of spinach or kale to smoothies.
- Swap meat for plant-based proteins a few times weekly, some easy options include legumes, nuts and seeds and tofu.
- Aim for ½ plate vegetables at each meal as a simple way to boost vegetable intake and overall nutrient density of your diet.
- Avoid getting caught off guard just because the weather has warmed up and continue to support immunity! Immune supportive foods include:
- Zinc: pumpkin seeds: seafood and lean red meat
- Omega-3 fatty acids: fatty fish, chia seeds and walnuts
- Garlic and turmeric
- Probiotic rich foods: yoghurt, kefir, kimchi, miso and sauerkraut
- Ditch packet sauces and stick to lemon juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, fresh herbs and salt-reduced tamari/soy to flavour food.
- Increase intake of fruits and vegetables with a high water content if you struggle to drink enough fluids daily. Some examples include; strawberries, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini and watermelon.
- Include bitter foods at each meal including rocket, watercress and radicchio to help stimulate digestive enzymes.
- Spring clean your pantry and remove any foods, which no longer make you feel good or serve your health goals!
A version of this article originally appeared on Lorna Jane’s website, www.movenourishbelieve.com.